Mt. Pleasant Citizens Climate Lobby Minutes
June 24, 2021 Garden Party Meeting
Worried Congress won’t act fast enough on climate?
Act now to persuade them.
Present: Marie and Pete Koper, Cil Lorand, Gisela and Tom Moffit, Don Smith, Fred and Dawn Sprague, Eric Urbaniak, Emily Zoet.
Applause and appreciation to Dawn and Fred for their warm hospitality for hosting the meeting inside when the Garden Party got rained out.
- Monthly Calling Campaign (MCC) – cclusa.org/mcc–please go there now and sign up. Very effective way to ask your Senators/Reps to support the Price on Carbon Bill (H.R. 2307). Takes less than 5 minutes.
- Regenerative Ag in the Middle of the Mitten: an ad hoc committee of Don Smith, Emily Zoet, Eric Urbaniak and regenerative farmer Aron Beuchler want to set up a coalition of downstream stakeholders like municipalities who will reap co-benefits to share the risks and costs to farmers to encourage wider adoption of regenerative farming methods. Interested? Call Don at 616-894-5782.
- Tabling at Farmers’ Market—now available, one Thursday a month. Marie will apply for a date and will send out a sign-up sheet for 2 hour blocks.
- Spread the word! The Energy Innovation & Carbon Dividend Act, H.R. 2307, was reintroduced the first of April and now has 70 co-sponsors + Rep. Deutch, sponsor, up from 36 in May. The EICDA will reduce America’s carbon pollution to Net Zero by 2050 (30% in the first 5 years). It puts a fee on carbon pollution, creating a level playing field for clean energy and a Border Carbon Adjustment to level the import/export arena. The money collected from fossil fuel companies goes to Americans in the form of monthly ‘carbon cash back’ payments so that everyone can afford the transition. Fareed Zakaria CNN, Sunday, June 20—4 minutes–excellent summary to share!
- MPSchool Board Resolution—tabled until Fannings get back to town; Dawn and Fred Sprague will join Gabe in planning.
V. New Business
- Report on June 21 Lobby meeting–Marie, Pete, Emily, Don and Dale Sands, conservative climate risk expert from Byron, MI met with Cliff Burdick, Aide to Rep. Moolenaar. Dale Sands shared expertise on need to build resilience or pay the high cost of inaction. Pete described the economic impact of impending Border Carbon Adjustments (BCA) from the EU and possibly Canada on US exports unless we adopt our own price on carbon with BCA. We asked Rep. Moolenaar to read the BCA parts of three current bills and give us his feedback. We’re also requesting an in-district meeting with Rep. Moolenaar so that Dale can go more indepth on climate resilience measures.
- Resuming in-person meetings: Dawn will check with CoA for facility availability. We plan to offer a hybrid model using Zoom so that people living outside our community can participate and expand CCL action through more of MI-04.
- Ad hoc City Commission Resolution team; Big push nationally. Anyone interested? Contact Marie-989-944-5858.
- Ad hoc Business Engagement team to work with local businesses and Chamber of Commerce to expand local interest in transition to clean energy – Jake Crowley may lead
- Other ideas for local initiatives? Ex. Collaboration to promote rain gardens.
- Tom Moffit will contact MAC TV and CMU Media to inform them about Dr. Katharine Hayhoe’s excellent series of short videos, Global Weirding, and ask them to add it to their respective programming.
- Social Media campaign—anyone on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Instagram or other? Include 1) a hashtag like #PriceOnCarbon or #PriceOnPollution, and 2) your congress members’ social media handles. Easy topic: mention one of the four main benefits of the Energy Innovation Act. Want help getting started on social media? CCL Community offers “Social Media for Volunteers and Chapters”!
Next meeting: July 15, 2021–Place TBD
Remember to log your actions in our chapter’s Action Tracker on your CCL Community page–Action Tracker, Current CCL News, Your Action Teams and all your resources!