Mt. Pleasant Citizens Climate Lobby Agenda
August 19, 2021 Hybrid Monthly Meeting
In-person/Commission on Aging & Zoom
Worried Congress won’t act fast enough on climate?
Act now to persuade them.
cclusa.org/house for email, phone number & message
Present: At CoA–Pete and Marie Koper, Dawn and Fred Sprague, Don Smith, Gisela and Tom Moffit, and Dan Marvin; Via Zoom–Gabe and Robert Fanning, Cil and John Lorand, and Sharon Sheldon from West Branch. Interaction technology worked well although sometimes speech was somewhat muffled by masks at CoA.
I. CCL National Video Call— Highlights of the Senate Calling Campaign and Pamela Benson Owens, Edge of Your Seat Consulting, coaching us on Constructivist Listening–critical info for bridging partisanship and preserving democracy
II. Treasurer’s Report: $ 991.65. Thank you to the Moffits for a generous donation.
III. Old Business
- Mt. Pleasant School Board climate declaration is on hold but Gabe F. will share the MPHS Student Petition at the meeting with Rep. Moolenaar (see V. B).
- Tabling at Farmers’ Market—now available most weeks, Clipboarding (effective tips). Call Marie, 9989-944-5858, if you can come for a couple of hours.
- Marie did a Zoom presentation from VA to Mt. Pleasant Area Rotary, Aug. 9, ably assisted locally by Dan Marvin and Gisela Moffit
- Excellent brief summary of why carbon pricing and dividends: Fareed Zakaria—CNN, Sunday, June 20
V. New Business
- Over 863 Michiganders contacted our Senators. Now it’s up to us in MI04 to contact Rep. Moolenaar in huge numbers. Using cclusa.org/house also gets your contacts counted toward national and district goals. 21,389 concerned citizens (CCLers + friends) put in 52,601 emails and calls to Senators—Set our goal at 50 for MI04? Challenge Midland chapter to match our 25?
- Make our personal emails/call; contact friends and family to do the same; set a personal quota and ask them to help you meet it.
- Call our roster –another effective method (Marie will share a list of people with anyone who can help call.)
- Print & digital advertising: we decided to take out a full page ad in The Morning Sun and a week of their digital ads (special promotion price) for educational purposes. Thanks to Spragues and Kopers for covering cost.
- August 25 lobby meeting with Rep. Moolenaar and Dale Sands, a conservative from MI04 who’s worked nationally and internationally on planning for climate adaptation for corporations and cities.
C, D, and E tabled but available for interested volunteers. Explore the links and call Marie if you’re interested.
- Get Endorsers and Community Leaders to contact Congress
- Ad hoc City Commission Resolution team; Big push nationally.
- Ad hoc Business Engagement team to build Chamber of Commerce interest via interested businesses – Jake Crowley may lead
- Social Media campaign—who’s on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Instagram or other- include a hashtag like #PriceOnCarbon or #PriceOnPollution, and 2) your congress members’ social media handles.
- Letters to the Editor (LTEs), the timely LTE topics on Community. Mention members of Congress (MOCs) by name so that the congressional offices can spot the letters in the newspapers.
Next meeting: September 16, 2021–Hybrid meeting: Com. on Aging & Zoom
Remember to log your Actions in the Action Tracker on CCL Community https://community.citizensclimate.org/dashboard
Send mail and donations to John Lorand, 1351 Tomah Dr., Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
Make checks out to John Lorand, who is our treasurer. Put MPCCL donation in the memo line.