PLEASE PARDON OUR WEBSITE AS IT IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
MPCCL February Meeting Minutes
Mt. Pleasant Citizens Climate Lobby
Minutes February 14, 2019
Isabella County Commission on Aging
Present: Justin and Mary Bentley, Matt Mertz, Gisela and Tom Moffit, Marilyn Thornton, Don Smith (leader)
I. Good News
- CCL is expecting more GOP to join the Energy Innovation & Carbon Dividend Act of 2019
- CCL’s Community, its internal website for all volunteers, will launch its new design in Feb.
- The US Catholic Church likes what we’re doing and posted a press release about it here. Marie asks our Catholic members to contact her for important follow up. CCL has Forum Groups from several national faith groups.
II. Old Business
- Marie K. presented on “Climate Change & Environmental Justice” to the Mt. Pleasant Area Diversity Group, January 24. Small audience with excellent questions.
- John T. and Marie K. met with the solar representative from J. Ranck Electric. Solar is only 15% of their business, but they are supportive of renewable energy.
- CMU interns are working on revitalizing our webpage and social media outreach…looking to launch in late February or March. Excellent ideas in progress.
- Marie K. will schedule an in-district lobby meeting with Rep. Moolenaar in March if possible.
- Planning is underway for a MPCCL Beer & Pizza Reunion for anyone who’s ever attended one of our meetings, complements of a generous donor.
III. Treasurer’s Report—$1234.04
IV. New Business
A. National video speaker: Dr. Natasha DeJarnettis a research coordinator at the National Environmental Health Association. Her specialty areas include climate change and environmental exposures. Dr. DeJarnett received her PhD in Public Health from the University of Louisville in 2013. As a postdoc at the University, she was awarded a fellowship by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences to investigate cardiovascular risks of air pollution exposures. She also serves on the board of Citizens’ Climate Education.
B. Marie K. will present “What We Can Do about the Changing Climate,” Thursday, March 7, 11:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m., at Isabella County Commission on Aging, 2200 S. Lincoln Rd. as part of our community outreach.
V. National and Local Actions
- CCL’s quick guide for building support for the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act. We need teams of volunteers! Which aspect inspires your engagement?
- Orient and engage any influx of new people
- Re-contact and re-energize members on our list
- Divide and share the work
- Build up your ability to work on multiple fronts (i.e. grassroots, community leaders,
members of Congress, local support for bill)
- The Energy Innovation & Carbon Dividend Act, H.R. 763, has been introduced at the
Foreign Affairs, Energy and Commerceand Ways and Means. Our Congressman John Moolenaar is not on any of them. We need to ask him to support this bill and why. We have cards for you to write a short note and Marie will deliver them personally to his office. Contact her at 989-944-5858.
C. CCL’s position on the Green New Deal:
“We welcome the Green New Deal supporters for raising the urgency of climate change in the media and within the Congress. While they have not yet articulated specific policy recommendations, we believe that the recently introduced Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act of 2018 will achieve the emissions reductions America needs. The bill will be effective, good for people, good for the economy, bipartisan and revenue neutral.”
A. Registration is openfor the 10th Annual CCL International Conference & Lobby Day, June 9-11, 2019 in D.C. cclusa.org/conference. Diversity Scholarshipsand Conservative Scholarshipsare available. Scholarship application deadline is March 31st. This is likely to be the most exciting conference yet because we’ve got the bill.
B. CCL Community will be “down” on February 14 while the “new, improved” Community comes online.We only share our contact names with CCL national. CCL adds you to their 100,000+ list and sends only a few emails (and doesn’t share). One of them will inform you of your now automatic enrollment in CCL’s private “Community”. Use that email to set your own passwordtoaccess excellent training webinars, special forums, and CCL’s many other resources for members.